Discover the story of English
More than 600,000 words, over a thousand years
Welcome to OED Online. If you or your library subscribes, dive straight in to the riches of the English language. If not, click on the images below to learn more about the OED, see What's new, or take a look at Aspects of English, our language feature section.
Get your annual subscription for just £100/$100!
Oxford Languages Word of the Year 2022
Goblin mode is our 2022 Word of the Year, recognising our desire, particularly as we emerged from the pandemic, to engage in 'unapologetically self-indulgent, lazy, slovenly, or greedy' behaviour that typically 'rejects social norms or expectations'. We made history with Word of the Year in 2022, as we asked you to help us choose. Visit our web page for the full story.
March 2023 Update
The latest update to the Oxford English Dictionary includes over 1,400 fully revised and updated entries, and over 700 new words, phrases, and senses appear for the first time, including deepfake, antigram, and groomzilla.
- Learn more about the words added to the OED this quarter in our new words notes by OED Executive Editor, Craig Leyland.
- Discover the biblical origins of VIRAGO in this post by Eleanor Maier, OED Executive Editor.
- Take a look at the additions to New Zealand English in this blog post by Danica Salazar, OED Executive Editor. Also be sure to have a read of OED Senior Consultant Phonetics Editor, Matthew Moreland's blog on the New Zealand Transcription Model.
- Finally, ever wondered about the history of the word GROOM? Matthew Bladen, OED Senior Editor, delves into it here.
You can see the full list of words to be added in this update here.
- Learn about the OED
- Help with using OED Online
- Video guides for the OED
- For librarians
- For students and teachers
- Abbreviations used in the OED
- Key to the pronunciation
- Key to symbols and other conventions
- OED webinars
- How-to guide: exploring OED quotations
- How-to guide: using the Historical Thesaurus
- How-to guide: searching the OED
- Guidance on labels and date ranges