Welcome to the Help for OED Online. This user's guide contains all you need to know about using the OED, including the Historical Thesaurus of the OED (HTOED).
It is written for readers who have a subscription to the full content, but please note that you can access the help text and other sections on the site http://www.oed.com without charge and without any need to login. For readers who have full access rights either individually or through your institution, once you have logged in you will be taken to the site http://www.oed.com, where you can access the full functionality described below.
Using the Help
You can access this Guide at any time by clicking the Help link at the top of the page or just below the Quick search box. It will open at the part of the Guide most relevant to your current location on the site.
A number of other resources are available:
- What is the OED Online? Take a tour
- Key to symbols and other conventions used in the OED
- Key to the pronunciation
- Abbreviations used in OED Online
- Glossary of terms used in OED Online
- Learning resources
- Lookup tools: add a link to the OED to your browser's Search menu, or a shortcut to the OED from another page