Add Oxford English Dictionary to your browser
With this feature, you can highlight a word in any web site, click the ‘Search Oxford English Dictionary’ button on your browser toolbar, and your browser window will display the results of a Quick Search for the selected text.
- Place your mouse cursor over the following link: Search Oxford English Dictionary
- Click the right mouse button and select ‘Add to Favorites ...’
- Click ‘Yes’ to continue (our code is safe)
- In the ‘Add a Favorite’ dialog, select ‘Favorites bar’ in the ‘Create in‘ menu, then click ‘Add’.
Can't see it? If you cannot see your Favorites toolbar, go to the Tools » Toolbars menu, then click on ‘Favorites Bar’. If you can see your Favorites toolbar but not the Oxford English Dictionary button, drag the toolbar across your screen to make more of the toolbar visible.
- Drag this onto your toolbar: Search Oxford English Dictionary
Add the Oxford English Dictionary to your menu
- In Firefox, go to www.oed.com. Click the + icon in the search menu and select 'Add Oxford English Dictionary':
- In Chrome, right-click in the address bar and select 'Edit search engines'. In the fields at the bottom add:
Add Quick Search to your site
Librarians or site administrators who wish to provide a convenient short cut into OED are invited to use this Quick Search box. Copy the HTML below and add it to your own web page, giving readers of that page instant access to OED.
Note: This search box can only be used by a reader who has a subscription. It should therefore only be used in institutional or similar environments.
Copy this HTML: